Friday, July 24, 2009

the impromptu concert

On our last night Paul and I sat on the steps sneaking an adult beverage (Paul bought gin at the hotel last night because you could only purchase it by the bottle) and assumed the children were all in bed. With no electricity they go to bed prior to dark. As we sat there all of the children came and lined up in front of us in the dark, saying nothing. Then an older child arrived with an African drum. She started to bang the drum and the children sang to us. Then they started to dance and let me tell you...some of those little children can really bust the moves!!! They then tried teaching Paul and I to dance to no avail except their own personal amusement. They found us pretty funny. For the next 40 minutes they sang and danced and partied until one of the women came and tried to calm them all down for bed. I used my cell phone and dialed George, Don and the Bosadas and held it up as they sang and danced so that some of you could hear it. One of the adults told them their singing was being heard in America and they sang and whooped even louder. The next night when I called George to ask if he heard them he said he couldnt tell if it was singing or if I was being murdered. That was African Orphan singing. I cant tell you how much these children have changed in our three days. I wish there were more adults who could visit more often. It would help them so very much. SOoooo very much! They have been told that there are a lot of people in America and the UK who care about them and that made them very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment