Sunday, August 23, 2009

Party update

August 22

This is Sunday morning, I think it is August 22 but wouldn’t swear to it.

Last night’s party was a hit. We bought a little cake, some balloons and a small decoration for over the door. Paul made a birthday card and I made the sign. I’m so glad we did this party. Diana’s mother told her that she couldn’t visit her (and didn’t) and she was sad so she went to her grandmother’s house to invite her. Grandma couldn’t come either. Her father however, came and brought with him 9 of her girlfriends from school and 5 or 6 more nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles etc. When they heard the music, many neighbors came over as well. We ate cake, we threw balloons, drank warm soda (and a few warm beers), we danced, we played with the kids. I started to worry about mosquitoes since it had rained all day and went to my quarters at about 9PM, although it did no good. People just kept coming by for one reason or another, standing in the door, talking, with the door open. Getting malaria again would really stink and I did my best. The party was great, fear of mosquitos and all!!!

This morning Paul and Katie took off for the Rydar Hotel. I can’t go because one must get on a taxi to get there, so I went to the Colline. I bought a newspaper and was ready to read when Diana showed up. She heard that I was going to the Colline and assumed I was swimming. She showed up all ready for me to teach her to swim. Since I was unprepared to swim we had orange juice and talked. She had a terrific time last night and thanked me repeatedly. Then she started talking about Ugandan life, the LRA, bad magic, her beliefs. Mostly she spoke about how, when she grows up, she is going to be a doctor and help the Ugandan people. I would not be surprised if she did just that.

Must sign off, try to post this, and get ready to go meet Scovia’s mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment