Saturday, August 22, 2009

Party!

August 21

We were to attend an AIDS conference today. Isaac had told me it began at 8AM. So I was up and dressed by 730A. In typical Ugandan fashion, breakfast was served at 9AM. At 930A, Isaac came by to say an urgent issue had arisen and we weren’t going. As it turned out, it was one of those urgent human things that crop up but still…aaaarrrrrgh!

Around 11A my little neighbor girl Diana came by with a small book of family photos she wanted me to see. There were very few pictures, but one of her as a baby, several of her little brother, and one of the two of them being confirmed in church. She had made me two bracelets woven out of thread which she tied on me. As we talked, I learned that tomorrow is her 13th birthday. She was sad because (her parents are divorced and she lives with her father and his girlfriend) neither parent has money to buy a cake or to celebrate her “entry into womanhood”. She then went on to tell me how much her stepmother doesn’t like children. I believe her. This woman is very young, VERY beautiful, and a thorn in everyone’s side. After she left I went into town and purchased two pieces of heavy green paper. One will be used to make an origami frog and the other will become a birthday card. I think Paul has additional paper in his room but I am unsure. When he gets home this evening Ill ask him if he wants to throw an origami animal-making birthday party for Diana tomorrow. If he supplies the paper, I will buy Fanta Orange Drink for everyone.

Diana is a beautiful and truly bright young girl. Her parents can no longer afford to pay her school fees so she is hoping that an aunt will help her stay in school, but she is uncertain if that is possible. Two years ago her 11 year old brother was attending boarding school. The children were locked in their classroom when the matron decided to go home for awhile. Evidently one of the children lit a candle in the dormitory for light and the rest was fiery history. All of the children died, locked in a room with no windows. In Diana’s words, “The fire was so hot that there wasn’t even one single bone left of him”. She thinks she would feel better if there were at least a bone to bury. Following his death, Dad started drinking, lost his job, the family fell apart…as did their finances. Oh Man. I want tomorrow to be fun for her.

Momma Africa, her daughter Primah, and her granddaughter Patience finally arrived late today. Momma is over the malaria but still battling typhoid. She told me (through Primah) that she wants me to come back to the orphanage and stay for15 months. I told her again, the she would have to speak to my husband about that! While she is here, she has placed all of the orphans in individual homes for two days. She has been having difficulty securing enough food for the children and felt good knowing that all would be receiving meals while in their two-day foster homes.

I suggested the possibility of placing volunteers at her orphanage and she loved the idea. Her home is one of the nicer ones that I have visited and volunteers should like it. When I asked her what she could have volunteers to do to assist, she immediately said that she was getting chickens and would appreciate help building a house (coop) for the chickens. Also, she would like people to teach English, perhaps do medical care, help with laundry, and of course, spend time holding, playing with, and talking to the children. In short, she would be happy with anyone doing anything. Primah said that Paul and I made such an impact on the children that they are still talking about us. That feels good, but I wonder the value of any impact beyond entertainment we may have had.

When Momma left she gave me a small plastic container of skin cream she had made. I don’t know what or how effective it is, but it at least smells good. Primah said Momma also makes shoe polish. I asked if she could sell these things for income. No. She cant afford the containers. I suggested that living where she does, perhaps she could grow mushrooms to sell which are difficult to find here but which everyone seems to love. Primah will find out what she would need to do to cultivate some mushrooms. When they left I felt like crying, knowing that Id never see Momma again.

So I have an announcement. I am coming back in a year or two.

August 22, 2009

Last night Paul was sitting on my bed as we were having tea (the bed is the only furniture in the room and serves as bed, table, computer station, visitor seating, etc.). I don’t know what happened but suddenly he screamed, jumped up, and dropped his cup, pouring tea into all of my clean clothing on the floor by the bed. He had dropped his cup of steaming tea on himself. I tried pulling his shirt away from his skin as he frantically unbuttoned his shirt to get it off, but he had a nice burn on his stomach and part of his back nonetheless. I poured a bottle of cool water on him and that seemed to help. This morning he says he is fine but I wonder how he could be??? Could be a job for Osmotics Blue Copper and antibiotic ointment if he changes his mind.

Remember the truck that comes by selling charcoal with music blaring that I referenced in an earlier blog? This morning Paul and I were sitting out front eating breakfast when the truck came by and all the children came out to dance to the music. There is always two people in the cab of the truck, and one woman riding in the back to help distribute the charcoal. This morning the Muzungus on the porch started to dance to the music and the woman in the back of the truck nearly fell out laughing. Then the adult neighbors saw us and started pointing our direction and laughing too. We are, in fact, the village idiots.

While outside we started hearing a noise that we couldn’t figure out at first. It got louder and louder until we realized that a terrific rain storm was moving our way and the sound was the rain pounding the metal roofs of the village. I ran inside, but it came so quickly that Paul and the others didn’t quite make it.

I am inside preparing for Diana’s birthday celebration while it rains. I have made a sign for my door that says
BEACON OF HOPE UGANDA
INTERNATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
VOLUNTEER DIVISION
(PARTY CENTRAL)

When the rain stops we will go buy a cake (you buy them in the store and they are like concrete, but very pretty) and hopefully be able to find some balloons. Paul is buying the cake and I am buying balloons and soda. Paul donated his origami book to Budibika Hospital and so we are unsure that we can make anything other than the frogs—and that only by taking the ones we have already made and unfolding them to see how we did it Still, we have pick up sticks, cards, bubbles that I made earlier to blow at the orphanage, and the IPod for music. We are inviting Diana’s brother, Isaac, Scovia, Alice, Viola, Happiness, Scovia II (another young woman who just moved here with her baby), and all of the neighborhood children. Katie arrives today so she will be here too. Paul is practicing playing Happy Birthday to You on his guitar and harmonica. Sounds like a party to me!

Sunday morning...
Just a quick note while I have internet. The party last night was WONDERFUL and Diana was thrilled/ More on the party later, but aqbout 40 neighbors showed up and we danced until the Muzungus dropped. The Ugandans continued dancing. Katie is here which made it even more fun. She and I are now sharing my space for a few days and then she is off to Tanzania.

Off now before I lose the internet connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment